Saturday, July 31, 2004

Ghostwriting

I was staggered by the excerpt from Jennie Erdal's memoir Ghosting published in the most recent Granta, and this piece at theBookseller.com confirms my feeling that I must get hold of a copy of the book as soon as possible. The part I've read is really, really funny and yet psychologically peculiar and gripping in an almost gothic way. A tale of doubles, for sure.

Occasionally I fantasize about making a decent living as a ghostwriter, but Erdal's piece doesn't make it sound like a very good idea... though surely not every employer would ask you to ghostwrite a novel for him in which the only condition is that the two young female cousins that are the romantic protagonists are so close to each other that when one of the girls has an orgasm, so does the other, even if she's thousands of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment