Friday, November 26, 2004

A strange feeling

I read an excellent novel, Pernille Rygg's The Butterfly Effect, but it gave me the extremely strange feeling that I was reading a novel by my separated-at-birth Norwegian twin! This is a great book--looking forward to the next one too--it's reminiscent of Peter Hoeg's Smilla's Sense of Snow and also of my own novel Heredity. I have a minor obsession with this Scandinavian thing--I liked The Butterfly Effect especially because of the Oslo setting and the smart, emotionally damaged female narrator.

I also read Karen Joy Fowler's The Jane Austen Book Club. It was OK. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it. It's minor. I am curious as to whether her other novels are more substantial--probably worth a look, anyway. But I definitely won't be adding it to the syllabus for my Jane Austen seminar this spring (that syllabus is already packed full, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment