Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Angels and ministers of grace defend us!"

I am sorry to say that it was another night when dinner was better than the play: a sorry state of affairs when the play is Hamlet....

(Short description: over-acting; cheap playing for laughs. Definitely recommended that you not go.)

The most dramatic scene I saw all evening I encountered on the walk over from the subway. (I suppose it was 80th or 81st St.) I came up upon a fellow holding his large brown-and-black brindled hound-type dog hard on the leash--the dog itself had its forepaws on some kind of wrought-iron fence-type thing, and it was eagerly straining towards a very handsome and imperturbable gray tabby cat sitting in the open window of the ground-floor brownstone apartment. Their gazes were locked, it was an amazing battle of wills--the cat was gloating, the dog was tormented!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your review! Also, I can't stand Hamlet played from line one as out of his mind.

    Hope you're well!

    -Lindsey W.

    ReplyDelete