Sunday, July 26, 2015

Ingots

At the New York Times, Oliver Sacks on the consolations of the physical sciences:
Next to the circle of lead on my table is the land of bismuth: naturally occurring bismuth from Australia; little limousine-shaped ingots of bismuth from a mine in Bolivia; bismuth slowly cooled from a melt to form beautiful iridescent crystals terraced like a Hopi village; and, in a nod to Euclid and the beauty of geometry, a cylinder and a sphere made of bismuth.

Bismuth is element 83. I do not think I will see my 83rd birthday, but I feel there is something hopeful, something encouraging, about having "83" around. Moreover, I have a soft spot for bismuth, a modest gray metal, often unregarded, ignored, even by metal lovers. My feeling as a doctor for the mistreated or marginalized extends into the inorganic world and finds a parallel in my feeling for bismuth.
And another nice recent piece: "My letter from Oliver Sacks." (Links courtesy of Dave Lull.)

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Davidson,

    It would be interesting to read your reaction to Go Set a
    Watchman, if you get a chance.

    Thanks,

    tc

    ReplyDelete