Sunday, August 01, 2004

Susanna Clarke

I was gripped by this NYT Magazine piece about Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. I heard about this some time ago--on Neil Gaiman's website, perhaps?--and immediately preordered from Amazon. I am dying to read this--and in fact am about to go back and print out the PDF file of the first chapter from the NYT website. This is the novel I most want to read; it is also (though obviously I say this without having read it) rather the same kind of book that I've just written. So I was amused to see this comment by Clarke's husband (also a SF and fantasy novelist):

Greenland told me [writes the author of the piece], ''Somebody actually said on a Web site, 'I hope this novel lives up to all the hype, because if not, it's going to be a big setback for all fantastic historical crossover writers.'''
He raised his eyebrows, waiting for me to complete the joke. ''Both of them?''


--Update from a fantastic historical crossover writer....

No comments:

Post a Comment