Thursday, August 12, 2004

Trashy novels

Nice little piece at the Guardian on trashy novels, by Ellie Levenson: Seasonal trash.

I love trashy novels. I love trashy novels more than life itself. In fact, this blog should really be called "trashy novels" except that I thought it might offend the writers of novels (trashy or otherwise) that I mention here. Probably the trashier your novels are, the more offended you would be by such a heading? Personally I would take it as a high compliment. But it's also true that I use the phrase in a particular way that doesn't mean bad trashy novels, just good ones (perfect example: Dick Francis, see post below).

Long ago my friend Paul G. made me a great "Trashy novels" tape--I think it had T. Rex on one side and Teenage Fanclub's "Bandwagonesque" on the other. Or perhaps that was another tape altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment