Sunday, January 30, 2005

An absolutely scathing review of HEREDITY at bookmunch!

Oooh, now this completely counteracts my happiness at that good review last week... check it out here. It's funny, the 18th-century parts of Heredity are most polarizing. This reader really, really hated them. And other things too. Ah well...

I am so happy with the results of the latest round of revisions on Dynamite No. 1, though, that it's hard to feel this matters much. (My second novel is technically so superior to my first that I'm not surprised reviewers have substantial criticisms of that one. Though I stand by Heredity, don't get me wrong. I think it's a good read, with some excellent qualities, but very much a first novel.) The weird thing is the time lag--I really feel at this point that it was a different person who wrote that book. It was published in the US almost 2 years ago, and I'd finished the final manuscript a year before that, and I'd really written most of it, say, between 1997 and 2000, plus a couple overhauls in 2001 and 2002. Ancient history. Anyway, bookmunch, some people liked it, even if you didn't!

Sarah Weinman's recent post about getting a bad review is most apropos...

No comments:

Post a Comment