Thursday, January 27, 2005

Instant gratification

I had a most tiring work-week (lots of school stuff, immense frustration at not yet being finished with my novel revisions), and as I often do wandered into the bookstore at the end of the day trying to find something that would while away the evening given that I was completely exhausted and frazzled and irritable. I picked up The James Deans by Reed Farrel Coleman.

It is so good! I couldn't believe it--I think I saw a recommendation on Sarah Weinman's site, but it's hard to tell if tastes always agree. Anyway, this guy is the real thing. I was absolutely delighted with this book. Super-well-written first-person voice, excellent Brooklyn and tri-state area details, appealingly set in early 1980s which I think is an excellent move. Good story with nice twists at various points. I can't wait to read his others--my only regret is that it's now 11:30, much too late for me to procure any more for this evening...

1 comment:

  1. They're crazy if they drop him! Yes, I remember seeing it as a pick on your site, and I'm sure that's why it caught my eye at the store...thanks... Seriously, though, this is EXACTLY what I look for in crime fiction. Surely others would agree? I can't imagine a regular reader of detective novels who wouldn't find this an extremely satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete