Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Chaos reduced to order

(more or less): I'm moving at 10am tomorrow and have hardly had a moment to read, but yesterday I picked up a used copy of an Agatha Christie novel called Towards Zero to run my eye over while I ate a bite of lunch, and finished it later because those books are tiny and it seemed justifiable. I'd read this one before, but not for a long time; classic Christie super-stylized country-house thing, complete with the unthinking class prejudice that makes them seem like they're from a different planet. Almost like science fiction, really.

The most charming thing is that it's a little paperback from the early 70s, and there's a hilarious ad in the middle on glossy paper. "What a good time for all the good things of a Kent," says a small slogan at the top of the page; then a crazy photo of a Partridge-family-style blonde lounging with a book in one hand and a burning cigarette in the other and a really demented smile on her face. "Cozy 'n Kent!" Those were the days. The wallpaper in the background is excellent too.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! Have fun, if that's possible! At least you know where the public libraries are in Cambridge, right? So you'll be back to finding new novels in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I earlier today checked the library website & was relieved to find that all you need is an envelope with your address on it & a photo ID--I was afraid that without a utility bill with a Cambridge address & in my name, I would not be able to get a card...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that ad merits a scan so we can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pitiful, but not only do I not have a scanner, I also have just moved today to a sublet in Cambridge & my lovely NY apt and all the books in it is lost to me till May. It really was a great ad, though!

    ReplyDelete