Sunday, December 04, 2005

And David Dabydeen

has what seems to me to be an eminently sensible piece in the Guardian Review on Vincent Carretta's controversial recent biography of the eighteenth-century autobiographer Olaudah Equiano. I haven't read the book, but I'm a fan of Carretta's and I'm inclined to trust him on this; it is heartening to see Dabydeen coming out so strongly in support. I must get hold of the biography and read it myself. (And Dabydeen's work is much less well-known in the US than it should be, I think; I haven't read anywhere near all of his stuff, but am especially partial to the novel A Harlot's Progress.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for th link, Jenny. I agree--Equiano is still interesting--maybe *more* interesting. When I first heard about this book I thought of the professor & Equiano scholar I met a few years back who'd made for himself some really really cool-looking Italian bike-racing gear with Equiano embroidered across the chest, very tastefully, just where the logo belongs. I wonder how *he* is taking this...

    ReplyDelete