Friday, May 25, 2007

The naked polliwog of the Elite g

A quite wonderful collection of writers' confessions as to their font preferences at Slate! Just go and read it, too good to excerpt, they have chosen their writers wisely.

(These are my people, this is my generation! I too remember the Brother word processor, I too like Anne Fadiman am unrepentantly anti-Helvetican, I share Caleb Crain's preference for a legible font with a neutral personality...)

(I love Courier, like various writers there [including my high-school classmate Elisa Zuritsky! Hi, Elisa!] I have a typewriter prehistory that makes Courier my favorite font, but since I am a fairly copious writer with a frugal streak I simply cannot afford the sheer number of pages that Courier makes me turn out--think of all the extra reams of paper I'd be lugging up to my apartment--so I do everything in Times New Roman. Its defaultishness suits my temperament, just--I suppose--as I prefer the basic default Blogger template also.)

(I had a striking insight the other day about my own temperament, but I must not procrastinate by writing it up now! But expect some thoughts over the weekend on the allure of triathlon...)

2 comments:

  1. See, I love Garamond, but I would never actually *compose* text in it. I would design things in it - I believe the CJLC body text was set in Garamond - but I always write in boring old Times New Roman, which actually has grown comforting to me over the years...Courier just seems too boxy for my tastes. Also, it takes up more space in a document, which gives you the unsettlingly premature feeling of having composed a great deal of material!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the priest telling me when I went to Confession when I was a kid, "Well, Lance, it was wrong of you to disobey your mom and talk back to her like that, but since you set the table every night and do your homework and sent your aunt a birthday card, what the heck! You're a good kid. Your sins are forgiven automatically. No need for you to do any penance." 糖尿病 文秘 心脑血管 糖尿病 高血压 高血脂 冠心病 心律失常 心肌病 中风 偏瘫 心力衰竭 神经衰弱 脑出血 心肌梗死 动脉硬化 风湿性心脏病 脑瘫 癫痫 老年性痴呆 先天性心脏病 心脏瓣膜病 低血压 心内膜炎 雷诺综合征 脑血栓 血栓性脉管炎 周围血管异常 肺心病 心绞痛 脑梗塞 低血糖 And maybe it's happened a few times and I haven't heard about it but I can't recall a judge ever letting somebody walk on the grounds the crook was a good guy and his friends really like him.

    ReplyDelete