Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Literary sex

From Lauren Collins' New Yorker profile of Nora Roberts (site registration required):
Whether or not her characters use condoms depends, she said, on the circumstances: "I'm not a public-service announcement. I'm not going to screw up the mood just so I can be politically correct." She continued, "My favorite use of condoms was in 'Montana Sky,' when Tess goes to seduce Nate at his desk and he's kind of like, 'Well, you know, I'm not prepared,' and she pulls out like twenty of them, and he doesn't know whether to be flattered or afraid." When Roberts doesn't mention birth control, she said, it is an artistic omission, and the reader can assume that the characters took care of it.
Also (unrelated): how Blackadder changed the history of television comedy (hmmm, that is a box set I might have to obtain...).

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's a load off my mind! I thought Nora Roberts WAS a public service announcement-- for using the same plot over and over and making a mint of of it!

    AH, WELL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love NOra Roberts! And I give her a lot of credit for making the plots different enough that they're enjoyable reading. I have to say, though, that I am just not into the paranormal stuff. And I suppose, Ms. Cornelius, there's some truth to your remark about the recycled plots. After as many books of hers that I've read, I think you may be right.

    ReplyDelete