Tuesday, December 07, 2010

The magic circle

I have to warn you that it is a PDF, but Johanna Koljonen's description of the production by "larpwrights" Martin Ericsson and Christopher Sandberg of the last three acts of Hamlet as a three-day live-action role-playing game in Stockholm in 2002 is a fascinating read.

(On a lighter note, I am still disappointed and mildly outraged that the Clydesdale Hamlet does not feature a redacted performance of Shakespeare's play with gigantic horses in the lead roles!)

As I've researched the topic, the three games I've found myself most intrigued by and attracted to are (from simplest to most complex) the Japanese location-based game Mogi, the Swedish game Momentum and the aforementioned Hamlet; I am not for the most part a gamer myself, though I suspect that if I hadn't taken part in Tino Sehgal's "This Situation" I might not be writing this novel about games.

Day 2: c. 1200 words, 2058 words total.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny,

    if you liked Hamlet and Momentum, I'm quite positive you are interested in our photography book on larp -- covering those two and 28 others with photos and texts. Stuff ranging from steampunk starships to animatronic dragons and cancer patients in flour therapy.

    Here: http://nordiclarp.wordpress.com/about-the-book/

    Best,

    - Markus

    ReplyDelete