Thursday, March 31, 2011

Light reading catch-up

Miscellaneous bits and pieces around the edges of what seems to have been a demoralizingly busy week (how am I going to make it to the end of the semester?):

Duane Swierczynski's delightful time-travel Philadelphia noir Expiration Date, which I liked very much (I wanted to introduce it to Charlie Williams' Stairway to Hell!)

Emily St. John Mandel's The Singer's Gun, which I also liked very much (it reminded me of several other books, though in a generalized sense that makes it hard to name them - that was the only thing that would stop me from raving about it - it's really good, though)

Finally, Lidia Yuknavitch's The Chronology of Water, which I liked certain aspects of very much (but I wanted more about swimming!) - I don't think I can give it an unadulterated rave, for my taste it's too much on Kathy Acker-Lance Olsen lines, a bit too literary, composed and presented in pieces - but I particularly liked the last stretch, which achieves more tranquility amidst chaos and disruption and also homes back in on the swimming stuff that was what mainly made me pick it up in the first place. Certainly a book one can't easily put down...

No comments:

Post a Comment