Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A human ear

Svetlana Alexievich's Nobel lecture:
Flaubert called himself a human pen; I would say that I am a human ear. When I walk down the street and catch words, phrases, and exclamations, I always think – how many novels disappear without a trace! Disappear into darkness. We haven't been able to capture the conversational side of human life for literature. We don't appreciate it, we aren't surprised or delighted by it. But it fascinates me, and has made me its captive. I love how humans talk ... I love the lone human voice. It is my greatest love and passion.
A very compelling piece - worth a read. I've only read the Chernobyl book, but I've acquired a couple of the others and am hoping to read them in January.

1 comment:

  1. I was recommended this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are incredible!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete