Monday, January 02, 2006

Two more books

by Graham Joyce, neither nearly as good as the one I blogged about below. The first was The Stormwatcher (a book whose spine annoyingly gives the title incorrectly, so that I at first looked for "The Stormwatch" and didn't find it); even more annoyingly, I really had read this one before, or rather had it from the library and read the beginning and ending but skipped the middle b/c of it not really being my kind of book. This time I read it properly through, there are things to like but it's slight. And then I read Indigo, which was the one other one I'd got from the library; but it wasn't my kind of thing at all, too mystical. I must get all his other books, though, I am sure at least a couple of them are as good as The Tooth Fairy.

The good thing is that I've now had a really substantial dose of excessive novel-reading and can go back to work tomorrow with the light reading impulse temporarily sated; it is good to have a holiday occasionally. . . .

4 comments:

  1. I think I'd probably recommend The Facts of Life next; it's the most similar to TTF (though still very different) and best of his recent books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than The Limits of Enchantment? I'm trying to decide what to read next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely recommend The Facts of Life too. It's my favorite Joyce as well as being simply one of my favorite books.

    -- oolookitty, who can't remember her blogging password

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are looking for an easy read yet an intriguing read, I have a great book to recommend.

    The book is titled "The Fall of Lucifer", written by Wendy Alec.

    The book opens with the three Angelic brothers, Lucifer, Michael and Gabriel, in heaven before the fall. Over the course of the book, the essence of the angels is developed. The controversy arises when God created man to be higher than the angels, in that we are created in the image of God. Lucifer was embittered to the point of rebellion.

    Various historical events are incorporated, and the plot offers the perspective of an angel into the events. The novel develops the beauty of heaven and the grotesque quality of hell, the depths of evil, and the beauty of grace. It communicates these themes through beautiful imagery and an intriguing plot. The beautiful imagery would make for amazing scenery!

    This is a fast read, 300-page novel that is consuming to the imagination and penetrating to the heart. I hope they make this book into a movie. It would be amazing. If you have time, I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete