Sunday, October 14, 2007

The deanery

If you happen to be Dublin-based and with an interest in Jonathan Swift, come and say hello to me at the Sixth Dublin Symposium on Jonathan Swift this coming weekend. I will be speaking on Swift and eugenics, at some point on Saturday morning; contact the cathedral for more details.

(I'm pretty excited about this trip--I've never been to Dublin--Swift is one of my handful of particularly favorite writers--and the symposium will be held in Swift's own Deanery at the cathedral!)

(What I need now: a ten-mile running route that is idiot-proofed against people with no sense of direction, so that I can do a good run on Sunday morning before having lunch with a Dublin-based cousin I haven't seen for at least ten years...)

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things to do in a new city is go for a long run--it's such a good way to see the place.

    But I can't help you with a route in Dublin. My only Dublin experience was an unexpected 8-hour delay at the airport, the annoyance of which was mitigated significantly by the fact that the meal coupons could be used for Guinness and that I was carrying the first two volumes of Proust.

    Surely a symposium on Swift is more fun than your average symposium, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to symposium question, yes to observation about run--but once I am lost I really cannot enjoy myself and have to stop and walk until I figure our where I am, so I need something that's a very obvious out-and-back or circuit, preferably along some kind of landmark like a river! I think I am going to go and buy a guidebook...

    ReplyDelete