Friday, October 12, 2007

It's queer to say plectra

At the Guardian, Neil Gaiman explains how he came to write Stardust:
I started writing Stardust in 1994, but mentally timeslipped about 70 years to do it. The mid-1920s seemed like a time when people enjoyed writing those sorts of things, before there were fantasy shelves in the bookshops, before trilogies and books "in the great tradition of The Lord of the Rings". This, on the other hand, would be in the tradition of Lud-in-the-Mist and The King of Elfland's Daughter. All I was certain of was that nobody had written books on computers back in the 1920s, so I bought a large book of unlined pages, the first fountain pen I had owned since my schooldays and a copy of Katharine Briggs' Dictionary of Fairies. I filled the pen and began.
Also, James Fenton on a harpsichord from outer space.

Which reminds me: I can't quite find a good link online, and I'm not going to be able to go to it myself, but on Thursday, Nov. 1 Elizabeth Morgan will play a solo recital at Galerie Icosahedron in New York, presented by the VIMTriBeCa music series. The program is comprised of keyboard works that Jane Austen played as an amateur pianist, and in between pieces Morgan will talk about Austen and music. Details as follows:

Thursday, Nov 1, 7 pm
Gallerie Icosahedron
27 North Moore Street
New York, NY 10013

See VIMTricBeCa for more information

No comments:

Post a Comment