Monday, November 16, 2009

4 more Mondays

I teach Mondays and Wednesdays this semester, but Monday is my heavy day: so, four more Mondays and then (it is a strange thought - I have a sabbatical coming up!) I will not teach again until January 2011; I would guess I can scrape through the next four weeks somehow?!?

Light reading around the edges: three books of true excellence, and all (curiously) very much the sort of thing I would have liked to write myself in a slightly alternate life: Geoff Dyer's Out of Sheer Rage, which is so funny I was actually regularly laughing out loud as I read it but which makes me also fairly glad I do not live in Geoff Dyer's head (but I am certainly now going to read D. H. Lawrence's book on Thomas Hardy, which David Bromwich was also praising recently); Denise Mina's The Dead Hour, which I do not know why I did not read much sooner (it has been hanging around here for some time, I have loved her previous books - especially the Garnethill trilogy - but had a spate a year or two ago of going slightly off crime fiction - however, it was a happy find on the shelf as I bounced off the walls Friday night with exhaustion and the mental insanity of mid-November in a very busy fall semester); and Daryl Gregory's Pandemonium, which is absolutely the sort of book I most perfectly love and wish I could write, only I am having - not a midlife crisis - a midlife acknowledgment that I will never write the books of Dick Francis, Lee Child, Charlie Huston, Mary Stewart, Charlaine Harris or indeed for that matter Daryl Gregory (the list is quite long, and includes my best-beloved practitioners of the Light Reading genre, with or without demons/vampires/zombies) - I highly recommend it, though...

6 comments:

  1. I am madly in love with Geoof Dyer. Will put that one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know Geoof, he's Geoff's brother and he's even funnier, more erudite, and all-round delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Dyer book, it's quite droll. Congrats on the sabbatical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have the Dyer book on my Christmas list and I'm so excited now to hear that you love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking for some time about the similarities between Denise Mina's Garnethill trilogy and the Stieg Larssen trilogy, particularly with how both authors decided to parlay their professional expertise into crime fiction so as to reach a different audience. The Paddy Meehan trilogy was wonderful, too--what a great character!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Бионикл - Маска Света мультфильм / Bionicle: Mask of Light - The Movie
    Электронная почта без регистрации

    ReplyDelete