Sunday, November 08, 2009

"He that writes of himself, not easily tir'd"

From Colley Cibber, An Apology for the Life of Mr. Colley Cibber, Comedian:
It often makes me smile, to think how contentedly I have sate myself down, to write my own Life; nay, and with less Concern for what may be said of it, than I should feel, were I to do the same for a deceas'd Acquaintance. This you will easily account for, when you consider, that nothing gives a Coxcomb more Delight, than when you suffer him to talk of himself; which sweet Liberty I here enjoy for a whole Volume together! A Privilege, which neither cou'd be allow'd me, nor wou'd become me to take, in the Company I am generally admitted to; but here, when I have all the Talk to myself, and have no body to interrupt or contradict me, sure, to say whatever I have a mind other People shou'd know of me, is a Pleasure which none but Authors, as vain as myself, can conceive.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic.

    I sometimes drift away from a project toward memoir. It brings such narcissistic pleasure.

    But I snap my old Yankee self right back as quick as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great quote! how did you come across it? imagine if he had read a few blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Три Мушкетера (Дисней) мультфильм / Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
    Электронная почта без регистрации

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is very good,I like it !
    The fall is approaching.We should take exercise to keep fit.
    Let's do sports together.
    Firstly,We should choose some comfort shoes.
    puma ferrari shoes
    cheap nike shoes
    nike shox nz
    Ugg Boots
    cheap puma shoes
    puma drift cat
    cheap nike shox
    nike air max 360
    nike air max
    nike 360 air max
    nike shox shoes
    What's more some beautiful
    cheap men's clothing
    china wholesale

    ReplyDelete