Friday, April 26, 2013

Season of lost and broken things

It is mildly ironic, since things in my life right now are very good and distinctly neither lost nor broken - but it has been the season of lost and broken things!

My Kindle stopped working and I got a new Paperwhite, only to leave it in the seat pocket on a plane in Portland, ME. I filed a lost property report with Delta online, but I haven't heard anything, and I think if they haven't sorted it out by now, it's not likely to surface subsequently. Will order a new one - have been using Kindle app on phone and on my new Kindle Fire, but really as an excessive novel-reader it is worth it for me to have the dedicated reading device.

The SD card on my smartphone stopped working, so I replaced the phone (it was old, I was overdue for a free upgrade), so that doesn't really count. But in the meantime I started getting an error message on my laptop saying that the battery wasn't recognized - it hasn't worked on battery power for weeks now, but as the messages became more frequent, I realized I'd better do something about it. Dropped it off earlier today with repair guy who thinks it is either the battery or the motherboard - very happy to have the Kindle Fire HD (with bluetooth keyboard) to fall back on, as being completely computer-less is not conducive to my tranquility.

I had a lovely time at swim practice last night, but not only did I leave my watch on the floor in the showers (it's old-school gym-building, even in the women's locker room there are no stalls and no shelves to put anything on, I rested my cap/goggles/suit/watch on the floor but the watch must have camouflaged itself sufficiently that I didn't see it), I also seem to have been on auto-pilot and relocked my lock onto the locker when I left! One or both of these may be retrievable by me on Sunday, and both are cheap and easy to replace - but I hope I can put a stop to this trend before it sweeps away something irreplaceable....

1 comment:

  1. What does Elizabeth Bishop teach us? "The art of losing isn't hard to master; / So many things seem filled with the intent / to be lost that their loss is no disaster." (But it is, of course.)

    ReplyDelete