Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Frontier vampire and Hawthorne noir

Toni Schlesinger at the Observer on the taste for American Gothic. Coincidentally I ran into Toni in the lobby of my building a few weeks ago, she was writing a piece about private libraries & looking at the one belonging to the distinguished and now deceased literary critic whose apartment's on the top floor here; by the time I went to find the piece, it was locked away behind a subscriber wall, so I cannot provide it here for your delectation. But this stuff she's doing for the Observer now is great!

2 comments:

  1. this has nothing to do with either Toni Schlesinger or American Gothic. Last night I read that Sigrid Nunez book "The Last of Her Kind" that you recommended in your Best of 2006 post. I couldn't stop sobbing as I read the last chapter. I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused this emotive fit. you were right--this book is fantastic: powerful, beautifully written, unforgettable. I woke up with swollen eyes and weeper's headache, but it was worth it.

    Thanks again for your recommendations. I would never have picked up this book without it, and would be headacheless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it moved you--I felt it was a quite extraordinary book, you remind me that I have been very much wanting to read her others (especially the one in the voice of a marmoset...).

    ReplyDelete