Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Annoyingly

there is no literary news because of the holiday! But Anahad O'Connor writing for the NYT tells us that reading in the dark won't damage our eyes, despite the advice I received in childhood from many well-intentioned but distracting onlookers.

(I don't think reading in the dark damaged my eyes, but I will say again what I've said a number of times before: the summer I spent studying for oral exams in grad school ruined my eyesight. At the beginning of the summer, I had excellent vision particularly for distant things; at the end of it, after having basically read about 1200 pages every day including--neurotically--three times through the complete Riverside Shakespeare which is in a tiny font in two columns on onion-skin-type paper, I had become quite nearsighted. I sacrificed my eyesight to literature!)

No comments:

Post a Comment