Friday, January 05, 2007

A memorial website

for Helen.

UPDATED: A number of us are going to gather on Sunday afternoon to mourn Helen and also to celebrate her most wonderful qualities (all Helen's qualities were wonderful); if you're a friend of Paul and Helen's and New York-based and would like to join us, please e-mail me at jmd204 at columbia dot edu and I'll send further details.

UPDATED: There are a number of news links at the memorial website, but here is the fullest news story (if you can stand to read it--not for the faint of heart, in fact do not feel that you must look at it) and here is a very good blog post by B. Rox who has a quite lovely piece of video up here that I think you should watch because it shows you Helen Hill as she lived, in the pre-Katrina house that Helen and Paul made such a delightful home (it is a comic segment about the Atkins Diet--Paul and Helen were vegans, though Helen as of 2003 allowed herself one dairy day a week because she loved ice-cream, and shared their house with a large pot-bellied pig called Rosie who also makes some apt contributions to this video).

5 comments:

  1. thank you so much for posting this. obviously words cannot express the grief for losing Helen's light in our world, and just when we need it most. I stayed with them in spring 03 too when on tour with my films. I pig-sat Rosie who got into Paul's box of fireworks and Xmas lights and I was terrified she had eaten ground bloom flowers and glass light shards. but she turned out to be fine. I made a movie about it and what Rosie taught me about eating pork rinds called "While We Were Yet Sinners," and a couple times when I screened it I called Helen on a cel phone with microphone to put her phone up to Rosie's snout for live sound effects. I miss her so much already.
    Love,
    Devon Damonte, Oly, WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny -
    Dave called me tonight to tell me he had seen your post. What unbelievable, terrible news. I really don't think that I've met two better people in all the years since we were in school.
    Thanks for posting the link to the site. Please add my good thoughts and condolences to the NYC gathering on Sunday.
    Love,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Paul from college. I always thought he was cool. Helen sounds amazing too. I lost a young vibrant friend a while back, so I know what the pain is like. I´m so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Paul from college. I always thought he was cool. Helen sounds amazing too. I lost a young vibrant friend a while back, so I know what the pain is like. I´m so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete