Thursday, January 25, 2007

On August Wilson

An appealing-sounding event at Columbia at 6:30 on Monday, January 29, 2007: "Staged Rhythms: The Musicality of August Wilson." Got to see if I can make room for that one...

(Related: John Heilpern's passionate praise of Wilson's art at the New York Observer. Classic sentence: "I prefer Wilson’s people to Mr. Stoppard’s yammering, privileged intellectuals." I haven't seen the Coast of Utopia trilogy, so I can't speak to that directly, also I don't see why we can't have both; but Wilson's plays really are quite extraordinary, and oh! someone who wants to buy me a very expensive present has a good obvious choice now--unless it's possible that someone will send me a review copy...).

1 comment:

  1. Oh no, and I haven't even heard of him, I admit with some shame.

    ReplyDelete