Sunday, August 20, 2006

Vollmann's meat locker

Matt Thorne interviews William T. Vollmann at the Independent Online. I must confess I have never read any Vollman, but Europe Central sounds very appealing. I like long books, especially when you need to take something on a trip but don't want to pack your bag full of volumes. I am still grateful to Cryptonomicon for lasting me pretty much both ways on an interminable but cheap weekend round-trip to New Orleans while I was promoting my first novel; I had been saving it for exactly this purpose, started it on Friday morning as I began my travels and finished it on Sunday evening just as the train from Newark airport pulled in to Penn Station. It was perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jenny,
    Sometimes when I can't go to sleep, I have to come up with things to think about. One of those things is trying to figure out how you read as much as you do.

    Now I know for sure: you read REALLY fast. I am a Neal Stephenson fanatic fan and I am a fast reader but Crytonomicon seriously damaged my average books per week stat and I was on Christmas break from work.

    I enjoy your blog very much. Also liked your article in The Believer this month. And you inspire me. Currently I am going for a book a day. I did four last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read any of vollmann's book yet! But I need more readers to come out and convice me that his book is all worth it. Who knows, I might just try soon enough!

    ReplyDelete