Monday, December 29, 2008

Miscellaneous light reading

Hmmmm, dodgy internet connection + holiday paucity of literary news = blog tedium! Miscellaneous light reading catch-up: Michael Phelps, No Limits: The Will to Succeed (highly readable, but nothing much to it); Liz Robbins, A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York (compulsively readable to me on account of its subject, in fact I read it in a single sitting, but quite wooden in the writing - it definitely does not transcend the genre); Sarah Strohmeyer, The Sleeping Beauty Proposal (I had only a few minutes to pick something out in the bookstore at the train station in Philadelphia, and this seemed by far the most literate option - in my light reading I prefer fantastical creatures and/or murder, but I was not sorry I got this one instead of one of the more formulaic and clumsy mass-market paperbacks that seemed to fill the shelves, the prose is lively and engaging).

1 comment:

  1. Yes, engaging is exactly the word--I stayed up till 2 finishing!

    ReplyDelete