Monday, December 08, 2008

The thing itself

I have just had an exciting delivery from my editor, who was so kind as to leave it downstairs with the evening doorman in my building - the first copy of Breeding: A Partial History of the Eighteenth Century!

Due to packing-related chaos, I was hard put to find a clear spot in the apartment for photographic documentation, but there was a temporary opening on the couch...

The sad fact about book-writing is that the part where you actually write the books is much more enjoyable than the part where they go out into the world; the latter might seem superficially more exciting, but it does not give you anything to really sink your teeth into!

I was actually going to add that for the purpose of cultivating mental tranquility I have a devout intention not to write any books in 2009, only then I remembered that I am hoping to finish a good chunk of one in January and that I will almost certainly be unable to resist starting a new one (partly on swimming!) over the summer - but I will write it very slowly, that is what I am thinking, over the course of a number of years...

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad there was a temporary opening on the couch so we could see the final result!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news! Looking forward to reading it over winter break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting! May I ask: what is your cover image?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats.
    Looks like a Hogarth. But why the monkey?
    Sounds like a fascinating book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!

    Perhaps it is only the deadlines that get in the way of mental tranquility, not the writing at all....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete