Sunday, January 02, 2011

Production of quota

c. 1,000 words, for a total of 31,028 words.

Wasn't writing particularly fluently this morning, but in fact section III is going to be a roughly 4,000-word academic talk delivered by the third character, and it might be that I need to do some more bits of reading and research before it fully comes together (though I think I can write most of the rest of it over the next couple days).

Now I have a real five-act structure, including a very clear sense of how part IV ends...

(But I am not at all sure about the nature of part V, other than its title, "The Broken Circle"!)

5 comments:

  1. Jenny, I enjoy your blog very much. I probably should comment on your post about year-end favorite books but wanted to know if you read Lionel Shriver's So Much for That. I enjoyed it but like Post Birthday World better. I am also enjoying Tomalin's biography of Pepys. Last, might you recommend any social/cultural/intellectual histories of the Enlightenment. I studied the Enlightenment at Penn 20 years ago but there is much I don't remember. And I wouldn't shy away from challenging reads. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rd character, I assume, is not the narrator of the previous part but one of the two relatively transparent and sympathetic ones? What's the talk about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali: Thanks! Haven't yet read Shriver's new one, though I am sure I will. Re: Enlightenment, I find Roy Porter always readable - I have a biography of Adam Smith sitting around that I'll report on once I've read it - did you ever read A. O. Hirschman's classic "The Passions and the Interests"? If not, it's a great way to get into the mood.

    Sarang: Yes (though actually she may also be untransparent and unsympathetic - not sure). The talk is about pervasive games!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...which title reminds me of J. Coe's THE CLOSED CIRCLE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jenny. I read Porter's history of madness in college, and one of my closest friends got me Flesh in the Age of Reason for Christmas. I also own his history of 18th century England. I will check out the Hirschman book. I did remember that I read the first volume of Peter Gay's history of the Enlightenment years ago. It was very informative but dense. And it is my goal to read Reflections on the Revolution in France this year! Can't wait to read your review of the biography!

    ReplyDelete