Sunday, April 16, 2006

Proof-reading....

Jim Knipfel at the New York Press on the texts included in the new Beckett edition. It's an interesting little piece, and includes some fascinating observations from the "textual supervisor" Laura Lindgren. Here's one revelation:

The version of Molloy most people have read, for instance, contains the sentence: "For I had hardly perfected my plan, in my head, when my bicycle ran over a dog, as subsequently appeared, and fell to the pavement, docile at its mistress's heels."

But originally, and in the new edition, it reads: "For I had hardly perfected my plan, in my head, when my bicycle ran over a dog, as subsequently appeared, and fell to the ground, an ineptness all the more unpardonable as the dog, duly leashed, was not out on the road, but in on the pavement, docile at its mistress's heels."


(Thanks to Frank Wilson and Dave Lull for the link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment