Sunday, June 11, 2006

Membership libraries

Anne Eisenberg at the NYT on one alternative to the public library system. I love the free public libraries (I am really a child of the public library, I keep meaning to find some way to get involved with a local library here in a time-and-money benefactorish way but it hasn't happened quite yet), but I also feel the world has room for more alternatives to supplement them: I am still waiting for there to be something like Netflix only for brand-new hardcover novels....

4 comments:

  1. If you'd be interested in the UK version of that world, there's the Association of Independent Libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, what a good link!

    (My grandfather bought a lifetime membership in the London Library in the early 1950s, and in recent years my grandmother was much exercised as to whether there was any way it could be passed on to me, they had already gotten very good value for money but wanted to see if they could squeeze a little more out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also am a fan of the public library, its something that was a family trip for me also and i agree with you..if they came out with a netflix for new books, i'd be the first one signing up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Society library is absolutely the best thing on the upper east side. The fiction collection is stupendous, and they leave the dust jackets on for better browsing.

    ReplyDelete