Thursday, February 07, 2008

Tied to the keyboard for three months a year

At the Guardian, Sarah Kinson interviews one of my favorite writers, Iain Banks (but I always have self-reproach for not having read his science-fiction novels--it's the other ones I so much love...):
What are you working on now?

I'm at the stage of gearing up to thinking about the next novel. I don't have to touch the keyboard until October so it's a bit early. It's an entirely necessary stage I have to go through and is not at all to be confused with laziness. Actually, I am working on a piece of music. I have pretensions to be a composer, and hope to be as successful a composer as Anthony Burgess, if not less so.

1 comment:

  1. Is there a particular Banks novel you would recommend that I start with? I've wondered about him ever since I worked as a bookseller in London, where we sold scads of both his sci-fi and non-sci-fi books, but I've never gotten around to trying him.

    ReplyDelete