Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A dog with a dollar bill in its mouth

A nice longish excerpt at the Sun of Luc Sante's "Commerce" (thanks to Ed for the link). That guy is just a staggeringly good writer, I love how this piece works like a mosaic of unexpectedly sized and shaped tiles (everyone should read it for the writing anyway, but especially read it if you are fond of the sordid but enchanting lost New York of the 1970s and early 1980s--it's funny, I have no love for bohemian squalor, in fact I am fairly strongly against it, but this essay makes it distinctly alluring...); here, too, if you didn't read it before, is Sante's lovely essay "French Without Tears" (which I am afraid I have misremembered as "Smurfs in French," which is what I secretly think it should have been called!).

No comments:

Post a Comment