Monday, February 07, 2005

Guilty pleasures

It was a good haul again at the public library yesterday (finding myself on the verge of complete insomniac nervous breakdown from stress and overwork, I for once decided I'd better take the weekend off, barring a few pressing tasks), and the first book I read off the pile was Laurell K. Hamilton's Incubus Dreams. Linking to Amazon just now, I'm startled by how negative the reviews are. I think this one is better than the last couple and even when things devolve into one sex scene after another, this woman is a really gripping writer. Highlights: Anita finally has a threesome with Richard and Jean-Claude (long overdue); Anita embraces B&D; Anita explains why a push-up bra is better than a sports bra if you want to be able to draw your gun quickly from your holster. The charms of the very compelling first-person voice continue to work for me. And I like the feminist emphasis on weaponry and female dominance.

No comments:

Post a Comment